"Zane knew himself to be a headstrong young idiot with delusions of artistry and literacy." - Piers Anthony (On A Pale Horse)

Thursday, May 26, 2005

Monster-In-Law

How quickly we forget the Jennifer Lopez can act. She is as sweet and lovable, in this film, as she can be.

Jane Fonda gives an exhausting performance. It's been a while since someone made that type of manic look graceful.

I'm going to go out on a limb and say that this isn't a romantic comedy. I know... I know... It looks like a romantic comedy and sounds like a romantic comedy, but it sure doesn't behave like a romantic comedy. The bulk of the film takes place while the male love interest is off on a business trip.

This is a fairly dark comedy about two women duking it out in that innately female way. Add Wanda Sykes to the vitriol and you've got three women kicking some serious comedic ass. I have to admit, I was surprised at just how funny this film was. I was expecting fluff - I was pleasantly surprised.

HOWEVER - I could have done without the stereotype next door. I'm talking about the obligatory gay neighbor. Points to the writers for not making him overtly flaming (though he does let his gay flag fly at times)m but, did he have to be effeminate? The character only served to pander to, not the gay community but, the people that think that being gay is endearing. I really wish TV and film would stop treating homosexuality like a commodity. I'm sick-to-death of the witty-lovable-happy-gay-metro-male best friend.
Carson, I'm glad you've made a career of your sexual orientation - I'm sorry you're nothing more than a stereotype.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home